SPC Convective Outlooks

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

2011 Chase Season Highlights


Chased the outbreak in MS/AL which we caught a potent hail storm and a night time supercell which had a well defined wall cloud (no reports of a tornado) and plenty of lightning. I was chasing this outbreak and returned Asheville after some 27 hours on the road. I woke up to find out a  major tornado outbreak was occurring and my hometown was at risk. I watched a supercell produce an EF3 tornado about 7 miles north of my house. I drove home the following week and drove across the damage path from the Sandford, NC tornado and the Fayetteville, NC tornado. I unfortunately was not chasing the super outbreak in MS/AL because of work at school. Four days after the outbreak, I gathered up a group of colleagues and we went down to AL and passed out water to the hardest hit areas of: Trinity, AL, Cullman, AL and Pleasant Grove AL. This trip chased my mentality when it comes to storm chasing and opened my eyes to the raw power of mother nature

No comments:

Post a Comment